Stay closer

Stay closer

Sunday, May 25, 2014

How much is enough?

The politic in my country is a daily discussion and it is said that business must know politic! What degree is the truth based on this? I'm unsure. What nerve racking for me is that the ongoing situation in Thailand which do effect Cambodia business operation and boarder issues. I was in Thailand for my son's vaccination which is very common these days that we, Cambodian, fly over for medical reason or travel to Vietnam which is a cheaper alternative. Coincidentally, the day arrived 22nd May at 4:30PM, the government announced curfew and military take over to retain peace within the nation. All stores closed at 6PM. It sounds serious and dangerous but in real situation nothing was happening, people still going to the mall and live their daily life as normal. What bothering is the nurse at the hospital that I visited asked me if Cambodian prefer "red shirt" rather than the "yellow shirt" she repeated 3 times in total. I assured her 3 time in return that we, Cambodian, has no interest in other country political matter. We are also the tourist who just afraid of the mess in general if we will visit Thailand for medical or other reasons. What was the point of the question anyway? She was judging the whole country political view and assumption, so unfair.
What can I say.....everyone judge!
Aside from my weekend in this political turmoil, I had a conversation with a friend who happen to work for a family member of one of DPM of Cambodia (Deputy Prime Minister). It is just happen that we were speaking of corruption and money laundering. What a serious issues to discuss via text messages. I couldn't help but wonder will I get track down and shut off by the government? If that's the case, can I do anything about it?
In country like ours just like many developing countries, such topics never been discuss in open only privately at home or private space. How do I put this... few of my own family members married business and political associated with corruption and it is so common for red tape. I can't say anything but when will it stop? Will they have anything if they didn't bribe someone for certain land document to be issued? Can my family really survive with that kind of transparency?
Honestly, I don't see any of these family members (maybe few) posses any kind of skills or any knowledge that if they can actually work in more developed country.
Should they actually be proud of such money? I never feel proud about my extended family members. I used to but after working here for almost 8 years, I can say that part of the money was not honest and clean.

Do learn a skill and knowledge that can earn yourself a position you deserved! I believe that is the least I can do to stay healthy, physically and emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment